Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Starting My Research

Found some good research to start with. The first two are scholarly articles and the other two are from some credible websites. Three of them lay out the causes of literacy gaps between children with different cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and include facts that I can use in my argument; they also give solutions for closing this gap. Another resource covers academic standards and ways it can close this gap. I found some others, as well, that I think will be very helpful in arguing my stance.

Matthews, J. S., Kizzie, K. T., Rowley, S. J., & Cortina, K. (2010). African Americans and boys: Understanding the literacy gap, tracing academic trajectories, and evaluating the role of learning-related skills. Journal Of Educational Psychology, 102(3), 757-771. doi:10.1037/a0019616
Haskins, R., Murnane, R., Sawhill, I., & Snow, C. (2012). Can Academic Standards Boost Literacy and Close the Achievement Gap?. Future Of Children, 1-5.
National Center for Education Statistics
Inequality at the starting gate: Social background differences in achievement as children begin school

No comments:

Post a Comment