Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Trial Assignment for You

Comparing Your Writing to Others of the Same Topic

This assignment will help you to see your arguing topic from a different perspective and help you develop new ideas.

1. Look at different professional examples of writing within the realm of your topic.
2. Look at articles that do not agree with your argument. That is, search for the exact opposite of the point you are trying to make.
3. Of the articles that do not agree with your point, pull out 3-5 main ideas that their article is attempting to argue. Then answer the following questions:
*Of these other main ideas, how many of them do you counter or address in your own writing?
*If there are ideas that are not currently addressed in your writing, how can you incorporate at least one of these?
4. If you are struggling with your thesis, compare the theses of the opposing articles to yours, then write your thesis to be the exact opposite of these articles.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was very clear - I was able to follow the directions and it lead me very well. Steps were easily followed. I could have taken more time on the exercise but I'm glad it was shorter - like a teaser trailer for a movie - it gives you the idea (and a lot of cool bits) but leaves it up to you to seek more. I'm not sure I learned much per se, but it did reignite my desire to write this paper a bit. I do think it was useful; I'll be going back to the blog post I made every once in a while to remind myself why I'm writing this. I'm not sure I have much advice for the next time - I think it would have worked better if I didn't have a good idea of what the opposition thinks about the topic.

    ReplyDelete